Money-Wise Tips I Wish I Knew Sooner

“Because Saving in the Ramaphosa Economy Feels Impossible!”

Listen, I’ll be the first to admit—I suck at saving money. I have a terrible relationship with it. It comes in, and somehow, it leaves just as fast! But I’ve been working on fixing that because, let’s be real, money makes the world go round. It opens doors, creates opportunities, and helps us live the lives we dream of.

If you also feel like money disappears faster than it arrives, trust me, I get it. But as I navigate this journey of being smarter with my finances, I’ve learned a few things that are actually working. And no, I won’t tell you to stop buying coffee or avocado toast! Because let’s be honest, life is already hard enough.

1. Give Your Money a Job

If you don’t tell your money where to go, it will disappear—trust me on this. The best way to take control is budgeting. But not the scary, restrictive kind! Think of it as a spending plan instead of a budget.

  • Allocate money for savings first (even if it’s just R100).
  • Set aside cash for bills and necessities.
  • Decide how much is for fun (because life is for living too!).

2. Automate Your Savings (Because Willpower is a Myth)

If you have to manually save money, chances are, you’ll find an excuse not to. So, let the bank do it for you!

  • Open a separate savings account.
  • Set up an automatic transfer (even a small amount like R200 a month adds up!).
  • Forget about it and let it grow.

3. Know Where Your Money Goes

I used to wonder, where did my money go? until I started tracking my spending. And wow, what an eye-opener! Small daily purchases add up.

  • Use a money-tracking app (like 22Seven or Goodbudget).
  • Review your bank statement and highlight unnecessary expenses.
  • Adjust spending where possible.

4. Side Hustles Are a Lifesaver

Let’s be honest, one income is not enough anymore. With the cost of living skyrocketing, finding an extra way to make money can really help. I do freelance SEO work on the side, and it’s made a huge difference.

  • Sell a skill (writing, design, social media management, etc.).
  • Offer a service (photography, tutoring, personal shopping, etc.).
  • Start an online store (I’m working on this too with branded items!).

5. Emergency Fund = Peace of Mind

Life happens—unexpected expenses pop up all the time. Instead of panicking, an emergency fund gives you breathing room. Start small:

  • Save R500, then work towards a month’s expenses.
  • Keep it in a different account (so you don’t touch it!).
  • Use it only for real emergencies (not a “bad day” takeaway!).

6. Cut Costs Where You Can (Without Being Miserable)

Being money-wise doesn’t mean you have to stop enjoying life. It just means being smarter:

  • Negotiate bills (you’d be surprised what companies will lower!).
  • Buy in bulk for essentials.
  • Meal plan instead of random grocery runs.
  • Avoid lifestyle creep (just because you earn more doesn’t mean you should spend more!).

Final Thoughts: It’s a Journey, Not a Sprint

I won’t lie, saving in this economy is HARD. But I’ve realized that it’s not about how much you make—it’s about how you manage what you have. I’m still learning, still making mistakes, but the goal is progress, not perfection.

So, if you also feel like you’re bad with money, don’t stress. Start small, be consistent, and give yourself grace. We’ve got this!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploring the Best Buffet Restaurants in Cape Town with My Kids

How to Start a Relationship the Right Way: Expert Tips for a Strong Connection

Top 5 South African Companies with the Best Work Culture in 2025